In this issue…
- 2024 NCEAS Annual Conference: Submit your workshop and/or abstract now!
- Blog: Addressing the Opportunity Gap for Young Children
- Symposium on Social and Structural Drivers of Health in Medical Education
- Resource of the Month: Say My Name: Understanding the Power of Names, Correct Pronunciation, and Personal Narratives
- What’s the latest? News, Conferences & Events from Around the Country
The National Collaborative for Education to Address the Social Determinants of Health (NCEAS) was originally a HRSA-funded Academic Unit for Primary Care Training and Enhancement. The mission of the NCEAS is to prepare primary care clinicians with the expertise and leadership to address the social determinants of health (SDOH).
The 2024 NCEAS Conference is scheduled for February 26th and 27th. The conference will be virtual, registration is opening soon!
Conference submissions are now open, submit your workshop proposal and/or abstract now!
Addressing the Opportunity Gap for Young Children
In the pursuit of a just and equitable society, it is crucial to recognize that the foundations of health, well-being, and success are laid in the early years of life. The National Academy of Medicine’s recent consensus study on the causes and consequences of the opportunity gap for young children from birth to age eight sheds light on the profound implications of unequal access to resources and opportunities 1. This is a brief discussion on how addressing the opportunity gap can impact health professions education curricula and contribute to advancing health equity.
- LEARN about the forces driving healthcare to better address health-related social needs, and implications for medical education.
- EXPLORE innovative approaches to teaching about the social and structural drivers of health.
- SHARE the unique challenges in teaching these topics and promising practices with colleagues from around the country.
Date: December 8th from 8:30am-12:00pm (PST).
Location: Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine 98 S. Los Robles Ave., Pasadena, CA 91101
In person and virtual
Say My Name: Understanding the Power of Names, Correct Pronunciation, and Personal Narratives
This resource addresses the impact of name mispronunciation has on the learning environment. It is a workshop that shares first via didactic lecture the implications that name mispronunciation has on our peers and how for many this can be considered a microaggresion and impact sense of self worth and comfort in their surrounding environment.
News, Conferences, and Upcoming Events
- NIH launches community-led research program to advance health equity | Read Here
- Podcast: Mental Health and Health Equity | Read Here
- Targeting health inequalities – realising the potential of targets in addressing health inequalities | Read Here
- October 2-5, 2023: Conference | 2023 IAPHS Conference: Gender, Sexuality, and Health across the Life Course
Current Challenges and Opportunities for Population Health and Health Equity | Baltimore, MD | Details
- December 3-5, 2023: Conference | The Root Cause Coalition Annual National Summit | Kansas City | Details
- December 8, 2023: Symposium | Symposium on Social and Structural Drivers of Health in Medical Education | In-Person/ Virtual | Details