In this issue…
- 2024 NCEAS Annual Conference: Early Bird Pricing ends January 26th!
- Webinar: The Hospital to Home Program: A Curricular, Value-Added Experience for Medical Students to Address Social Determinants of Health at the Bedside
- Resource of the Month: Anti-Racism and Race Literacy: A Primer and Toolkit for Medical Educators
- What’s the latest? News, Conferences & Events from Around the Country
- The National Collaborative for Education to Address the Social Determinants of Health (NCEAS) was originally a HRSA-funded Academic Unit for Primary Care Training and Enhancement. The mission of the NCEAS is to prepare primary care clinicians with the expertise and leadership to address the social determinants of health (SDOH).Do you have relevant SDOH resources, curricula, or evaluation tools to share? Please send them to us at email@example.com
The Hospital to Home Program: A Curricular, Value-Added Experience for Medical Students to Address Social Determinants of Health at the Bedside
A major challenge in health professions education is how to meaningfully and effectively integrate learning on social determinants of health (SDH) for trainees. At the University of Texas Medical Branch John Sealy School of Medicine, we recently developed and implemented an innovative program called the Hospital to Home (H2H) program in partnership with the local free clinic, St. Vincent’s Clinic. This is an educational and value-added experience for medical students as they gain a deeper understanding of the impact of SDH and the importance of integrating the greater social and patient context when developing care plans by identifying and addressing the unmet social needs for hospitalized patients at the bedside for a smoother transition during the crucial post-discharge period.
Anti-Racism and Race Literacy: A Primer and Toolkit for Medical Educators
This excellent toolkit provides medical educators with a structured approach to developing curricula that engage learners in the topic of racism. The toolkit includes common definitions and frameworks, a discussion of the historical context of racism in medicine, and a guide for creating and evaluating anti-racist educational materials.
News, Conferences, and Upcoming Events
- Using Social Determinants to Diversify the Health Care Workforce: UC Davis Health’s Playbook | Read Here
- Public health resources: Striving for equality among vulnerable communities | Read Here
- THE U.S. PLAYBOOK TO ADDRESS SOCIAL DETERMINANTS OF HEALTH | Read Here
- January 23-24, 2024: Conference | Health Action Conference | Virtual | Details
- April 8-10, 2024: Conference | Social Mission Alliance| Durham, NC | Details
- May 7-9, 2024: Conference | ACCELERATING HEALTH EQUITY CONFERENCE | Kansas City | Details