In this issue…
- Listen to our latest webinar on medical-legal partnerships
- Resource of the Month, “LGBTQI Defined: An Introduction to Understanding and Caring for the Queer Community”
- What’s the latest? News, Conferences & Events from Around the Country
The National Collaborative for Education to Address the Social Determinants of Health (NCEAS) is a HRSA-funded Academic Unit for Primary Care Training and Enhancement. The mission of the NCEAS is to prepare primary care clinicians with the expertise and leadership to address the social determinants of health (SDOH).
Do you have relevant SDOH resources, curricula, or evaluation tools to share? Please send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you missed our latest webinar, “Medical Legal Partnerships to Address the Social Determinants of Health: Where We’ve Been & Where We’re Going,” you can listen to the recording here.
This is a fantastic resource, from MedEdPORTAL, that contains a comprehensive LGBTQI* curriculum that can be used in a single session – for either a 45 minute or 2 hour presentation. All of the necessary presentation notes and a thorough and thoughtful instructor guide is included that addresses practical implementation challenges and describes how the different instructors can deliver the material. The presentation itself is set up as a didactic presentation and has 2 breakout interactive activities that can be used in either small or large group settings. The presentation notes are so thorough that; as the authors state; the educator’s baseline knowledge does not have to be a prerequisite. This resource addresses all questions an educator would have and as this material was not available to many of us when we trained this is a very useful tool that teaches the trainer and manages to unpack a complex topic well. Read more about it here.
News, Conferences, and Upcoming Events
- Check out this blog on loneliness: Confronting the Growing Health Impact of Loneliness
- The Agriculture and Nutrition Act of 2018 also known and the “Farm Bill” was pass, this will preserve food access for more than 40 million Americans. Read more about this here.
- Check out this recent Academic Medicine piece, “Medical Students’ Perceptions of and Responses to Health Care Disparities During Clinical Clerkships”
- January 24, 2019
Providing Equitable Care Across New England: Understanding the Unique Experiences and Needs of LGBT Patients | Webinar | Details
- January 28-29, 2019
The 2nd Annual Symposium on Partnering to Address Social Determinants of Health | Ft. Lauderdale, FL | Details
- February 5, 2019
Opportunities to Impact Social Determinants of Health through Wellness Programs | AHIP | Details