In this issue…
- View our latest webinar: Using Virtual Reality and 3D Immersive Technology to Teach Social Determinants of Health
- New Blog: Making social and structural determinants of health visible to learners at the bedside
- Resource of the Month: The Problem with Race-Based Medicine
- What’s the latest? News, Conferences & Events from Around the Country
The National Collaborative for Education to Address the Social Determinants of Health (NCEAS) is a HRSA-funded Academic Unit for Primary Care Training and Enhancement. The mission of the NCEAS is to prepare primary care clinicians with the expertise and leadership to address the social determinants of health (SDOH).
Do you have relevant SDOH resources, curricula, or evaluation tools to share? Please send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Using Virtual Reality and 3D immersive technology to teach the Social Determinants of Health
During this webinar, Dr. Buitron shares two educational learning experiences that were developed, implemented and studied at Boston University Medical Center to teach about social determinants of health using virtual reality and 3D immersive technology. He discusses the gaps that these interventions were trying to fill, challenges that facilitators faced during their implementation and preliminary results of our analysis.
Making social and structural determinants of health visible to learners at the bedside
How do we teach social determinants of health—and related skills, like cultural humility and structural competence—to health professions learners at the bedside? How do we make these critical facets of human health and well-being visible to learners inside hospital and clinical walls? And how do we know when we’ve succeeded?
The Problem with Race-Based Medicine
This resource is a TEDMed Talk presented by the sociologist Dorothy Roberts that describes her opinion on the importance of abandoning race-based medical practices. Roberts argues that race is used to make false biological predictions that diverts attention and resources from the social determinants of health. This resource may be beneficial for practicing health providers to guide their practice and engage them in careful consideration of the structural inequalities and discrimination that produce the biological impacts that are incorrectly attributed to race.
News, Conferences, and Upcoming Events
- SDOH: Racism as a Public Health Crisis | Read More Here
- Community Resilience for COVID-19 and Beyond: Leveraging a System for Healthcare and Social Services Integration | Read More Here
- Screening for Unmet Social Needs: Patient Engagement or Alienation | Read More Here
- October 5-7, 2020
Virtual Conference | National Summit on the Social Determinants of Health | The Root Cause Coalition | Details
- October 21, 2020, December 16th, 2020 & February 7, 2021
Webinar | Let’s Discuss Racism in Medicine | Details
- December 8, 2020
Virtual Conference | Social Determinants of Health Symposium | Details