In this issue…
- Join the NCEAS Conference Committee!
- Read our latest blog: Childhood Poverty: It’s in Your Bank and in Your Brain
- Resource of the Month: “Addressing Trauma and Building Resilience in Children and Families: Standardized Patient Cases for Pediatric Residents”
- What’s the latest? News, Conferences & Events from Around the Country
The National Collaborative for Education to Address the Social Determinants of Health (NCEAS) is a HRSA-funded Academic Unit for Primary Care Training and Enhancement. The mission of the NCEAS is to prepare primary care clinicians with the expertise and leadership to address the social determinants of health (SDOH).
Do you have relevant SDOH resources, curricula, or evaluation tools to share? Please send them to us at email@example.com
Work with the NCEAS conference committee to plan the 2023 NCEAS Annual Conference on February 27-March 1, 2023. Applications are due on Friday, July 15th.
Childhood Poverty: It’s in Your Bank and in Your Brain
What if I told you I could look at your brain and tell whether or not you were poor growing up? Would you believe me? What if I added there was a distinctly possible way to inoculate children against the detrimental effects of poverty with a few policy changes? It has been well observed that poor children tend to perform at lower academic levels than their richer classmates, and while environmental influences can in large part explain this gap, a child’s environment also impacts brain development and subsequent cognitive ability.
Addressing Trauma and Building Resilience in Children and Families: Standardized Patient Cases for Pediatric Residents
This resource is a 4-hour workshop for pediatrics residents on screening/managing adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and delivering trauma-informed care. It includes 3 standardized patient cases focusing on: 1) an adolescent with ACEs; 2) ACE disclosure by a parent, and; 3) de-escalation. The workshop includes a 1-hour training, 2 hours for the standardized patient cases (~40 minutes per standardized patient), and a 1-hour debrief.
News, Conferences, and Upcoming Events
- Assessment and Evaluation in Social Determinants of Health Education: a National Survey of US Medical Schools and Physician Assistant Programs | Read Here
- Genetic Code Vs. Zip Code: The Social Determinants Of Health | Read Here
- “All of Us” Program Expands COVID-19, SDOH Data Available to Researchers | Read Here
- August 11, 2022
Symposium | Social Determinants of Health Symposium | Details
- September 13-15, 2022
Conference | 2022 Health Equity & Inclusion Conference | Virtual | Details
- October 2-4, 2022
Conference | 7th National Summit on the Social Determinants of Health | Minneapolis | Details