In this issue…
- The next NCEAS webinar is Dec. 19th at 11:30a (CT)
- Take the Wheel, Don’t Reinvent it! Explore our Education Collection, led by Dr. Heather Heiman
- Meeting in a Box, Resource of the Month, “Meeting in a Box”
- What’s the latest? News, Conferences & Events from Around the Country
The National Collaborative for Education to Address the Social Determinants of Health (NCEAS) is a HRSA-funded Academic Unit for Primary Care Training and Enhancement. The mission of the NCEAS is to prepare primary care clinicians with the expertise and leadership to address the social determinants of health (SDOH).
Do you have relevant SDOH resources, curricula, or evaluation tools to share? Please send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When: December 19th at 11:30am (CT)
Where: Must register to receive webinar link
“Medicine is changing fast, but the fight for health equity is a slow process. The importance of social determinants won’t decline any time soon. The goal of our education collection is to help our trainees gain the self-efficacy to approach patients like mine with confidence and competence.” – Dr. Heather Heiman
Dr. Heiman leads the oversight of the curated social determinants of health education collection and contributes to its creation and maintenance at NCEAS.
This resource is a comprehensive curriculum created by CDC that explores the root causes of health and illness in both patients and community. It contains very detailed simulation modules and accompanying visual materials; facilitator and participant dialogue guides; data cards and can facilitate multiple active learning scenarios for participants. Specifically, the three modules are on topics on asthma; gang violence and obesity. Read more about it here.
News, Conferences, and Upcoming Events
- Check out PolicyMap‘s recent “Map Chat” on Treating the Whole Community: Addressing Social Drivers of Health
- HHS Sets Sights on Addressing Social Determinants of Health: Social determinants of health are at the root of much of the spending in the industry and HHS is taking notice
- Check out this recent Academic Medicine piece, “New Educator Roles for Health Systems Science: Implications of New Physician Competencies for U.S. Medical School Faculty“
- December 20, 2018
Supporting Rural Programs Through Telehealth: Training, Supervision, and Collaborative Mental Health Care | Webinar | Details
- January 28-29, 2019
The 2nd Annual Symposium on Partnering to Address Social Determinants of Health | Ft. Lauderdale, FL | Details
- February 28, 2019
Are you or someone you know between the ages of 5-26? Submit artwork related to social determinants of health | National Academy of Medicine | Details