In this issue…
- Register for our next webinar: September 11th at 11:30am-12:30pm (CT)
- New Blog: Written by CoP member Dr. Memoona Hasnain
- GIS Survey: Thank you!
- Resource of the Month: Social Determinants of Health Fast Facts
- What’s the latest? News, Conferences & Events from Around the Country
The National Collaborative for Education to Address the Social Determinants of Health (NCEAS) is a HRSA-funded Academic Unit for Primary Care Training and Enhancement. The mission of the NCEAS is to prepare primary care clinicians with the expertise and leadership to address the social determinants of health (SDOH).
Do you have relevant SDOH resources, curricula, or evaluation tools to share? Please send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join us Wednesday, September 11th from 11:30am-12:30pm (CT) as we discuss “The Evolution of Teaching Social Determinants of Health in an Interprofessional Education Program.”
During this webinar, Drs. Painter and McNamara will discuss the development of the Transforming Outpatient Care Center of Excellence in Primary Care Education, an interprofessional training program at the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center. They will discuss how education surrounding social determinants of health was initially integrated, and how this focus evolved into a distinct educational domain. Lastly, Drs. Painter and McNamara will discuss a unique curricular innovation that, in collaboration with the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, has been implemented to address bias and the impact of social determinants of health in patient care.
Despite growing recognition of the quality gaps in health care access and delivery in the United States, health disparities persist and we continue to lag behind other developed countries in key health outcomes. In our quest to train the future healthcare workforce to be committed, compassionate and responsive to the needs of our diverse and evolving patient populations, the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) College of Medicine offers the Patient-centered Medicine (PCM) Scholars Program, one of the first in the nation to explicitly train health science students to practice patient-centered care.
A big thank you to those who have taken our survey! Your participation will help us better understand systematic ways of screening for and addressing social risk factors in the clinical training environment and how geospatial tools are or aren’t being incorporated. For that, we value and appreciate your input.
Social Determinants of Health Fast Facts
This resources introduces identifying social needs and interventions that can be used in clinical case scenarios. The resource is a collection of 19 vignettes. The vignette is followed by an MCQ quiz that either asks the reader to identify the social/structural needs of the patients in the clinical settings or choose an appropriate intervention for an identified need. The answer with its explanation – the ‘fast fact summary’ – is found at the end of the case. These summaries provide evidence-based facts linking health and the specific SDH topic in the case.
News, Conferences, and Upcoming Events
- AAFP Health Equity Curricular Tool Kit | Read more here
- Home Is Where Health Is: A Stable, Affordable Home Is a Prescription for Good Health | Read more here
- A Better Tool to Address Social Determinants of Health: The Neighborhood Navigator | Continue Reading Here
- September 5-6, 2019: Symposium | Reimagining Health in Cities: Challenges and New Directions | Philadelphia, PA| Details
- September 10, 2019: Webinar | Topic: Community Health Workers Address Social Determinants of Health for Vulnerable Patients | Hosted by Care Neighborhood | Details
- September 19-20, 2010: Summit | Whole Person, Whole Team, Whole Communities. A summit hosted by the National Center for Medical-Legal Partnership | National Harbor, MD | Details