In this issue…
- New blog post: Preparing our nursing workforce to advance pediatric health equity: A call to action.
- Mark your Calendars: SDOH Lecture on May 21st, 2019
- Resource of the month, Academic Consortium on Criminal Justice Health: Overview of Criminal Justice Health
- What’s the latest? News, Conferences & Events from Around the Country
The National Collaborative for Education to Address the Social Determinants of Health (NCEAS) is a HRSA-funded Academic Unit for Primary Care Training and Enhancement. The mission of the NCEAS is to prepare primary care clinicians with the expertise and leadership to address the social determinants of health (SDOH).
Do you have relevant SDOH resources, curricula, or evaluation tools to share? Please send them to us at email@example.com.
Preparing our nursing workforce to advance pediatric health equity: A call to action
by Dr. Ashley Darcy-Mahoney, PhD, NNP, FAAN
Childhood experiences, both positive and negative, have a tremendous impact on lifelong health and opportunity. As such, early experiences are an important public health issue with enhanced health equity having the potential to mitigate adverse childhood events, poverty and toxic stress. It is imperative to train health professions work forces in understanding how child development impacts human health and disease across the lifespan.
May 21st from 4:00-5:00pm
Robert H. Lurie Medical Research Center
303 East Superior Street
Chicago, IL 60611
Join us for a TIME lecture presented by two of our faculty, Drs. Mita Goel and Ashti Doobay-Persaud. You can find more information about the TIME lecture series here: https://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/sites/fame/educator-training/time/index.html. Not able to attend in person? Live stream their presentation here:
Academic Consortium on Criminal Justice Health: Overview of Criminal Justice Health
This 30-minute video lecture introduces the criminal justice system, scope of criminal justice involvement and its impact on health and society in the U.S. and is part of a larger online curriculum exploring downstream impacts on the social determinants of health of these justice-involved individuals; their families and communities.
- Review this brief that discusses how organizations participating in Transforming Complex Care are assessing and addressing SDOH for populations with complex needs.
- ACP to hold panel on how doctor’s can address social determinants of health. Read more here.
- NEW BOOK ALERT! Integrating Health Humanities, Social Science and Clinical Care- published by Community of Practice member, Anna-leila Williams. Find more information here.
- May 7, 2019: Webinar | Integration of Pediatric Adversity and the Social Determinants of Health: Using the NLN’s Advancing Care Excellence for Pediatrics (ACE.P) Resources as a Prototype to Transform Nursing Curricula | Details
- May 13, 2019: Social Determinants of Health Symposium | Baltimore, MD | Details
- January 30 – February 2, 2020: The 2020 STFM Conference on Medical Student Education | Portland, OR | Details