Homelessness Research Round Up
The NCEAS Research and Resource Roundup presents a compilation of emerging evidence and resources related to cutting edge topics in social determinants of health. To be responsive to the wide-ranging impacts of the COVID-19 global pandemic, our attempt is share the latest information that can facilitate teaching, learning, research, advocacy and action to mitigate the effects of this public health crisis. In this inaugural issue, we bring you selected readings and resources about housing insecurity and homelessness, a critical primary care, public health, human rights and social justice issue. Please note that this collection does not encompass everything that is published.
Below you will find the list of journal publications. Click here to view each resource in detail.
- Albon D, Soper M, Haro A. Potential Implications of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Homeless Population. CHEST. 2020.
- Baggett T, Racine M, Lewis E. Addressing COVID-19 Among People Experiencing Homelessness: Description, Adaptation, and Early Findings of a Multiagency Response in Boston. Public Health Reports. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1177/0033354920936227.
- Baggett TP, Keyes H, Sporn N, Gaeta JM. Prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Residents of a Large Homeless Shelter in Boston [published online ahead of print, 2020 Apr 27]. JAMA. 2020;323(21):2191-2192. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.6887
- Bodkin C, Mokashi V, Beal K, Wiwcharuk J, Lennox R, Guenter D, Smieja M, O’Shea T. Pandemic Planning in Homeless Shelters: A Pilot Study of a COVID-19 Testing and Support Program to Mitigate the Risk of COVID-19 Outbreaks in Congregate Settings. Clinical Infectious Disease. 2020. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciaa74.
- Kuehn B. Homeless Shelters Face High COVID-19 Risks. JAMA. 2020. doi: 10.1001/jama.2020.8854.
- Lima NNR, de Souza RI, Feitosa PWG, Moreira JLS, da Silva CGL, Neto MLR. People experiencing homelessness: Their potential exposure to COVID-19. Psychiatry Res. 2020;288:112945. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2020.112945.
- Maxmen A. Coronavirus Is Spreading Under the Radar in US Homeless Shelters. Nature. 2020 May;581(7807):129-130. doi: 10.1038/d41586-020-01389-3.
- Miyawaki A, Hasegawa K, Tsugawa Y. Lessons From Influenza Outbreaks for Potential Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Hospitalizations, Ventilator Use, and Mortality Among Homeless Persons in New York State. J Gen Intern Med. 2020 Jun 4:1–3. doi: 10.1007/s11606-020-05876-1
- Neto MLR, de Souza RI, Quezado RMM, et al. When basic supplies are missing, what to do? Specific demands of the local street population in times of coronavirus – a concern of social psychiatry. Psychiatry Res. 2020;288:112939. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2020.112939
- Peate, I. Self-isolation and the homeless population. British Journal of Nursing. 2020;20(7): 387.
- Rosenberg A, Keene D, Schlesinger P, Groves A, Blankenship K. COVID-19 and Hidden Housing Vulnerabilities: Implications for Health Equity, New Haven, Connecticut. AIDS Behav. 2020 May 24 : 1–2. doi: 10.1007/s10461-020-02921-2.
- Tsai J, Wilson M. COVID-19: a potential public health problem for homeless populations. The Lancet Public Health. 2020; 5(4): e186–e187. doi.org/10.1016/S2468-2667(20)30053-0.
- Wood L, Davies A, Khan Z. COVID‐19 precautions: easier said than done when patients are homeless. Medical Journal of Austraila. 2020; 212(8): 384–384.e1. doi/epdf/10.5694/mja2.50571.
- Chicago Homelessness and Health Response Group for Equity (CHHRGE)
- Cousineau, M. Coronavirus could hit homeless hard, and that could hit everyone hard. The Conversation. March 13, 2020.
- Monnier J. Coronavirus is a Serious Threat to the Seattle Homeless Population. Urban at UW- University of Washington. March 12, 2020.
- National Center for Homeless Education. COVID-19 Information.
- Slagter L. Jennifer Erb-Downward: Coronavirus pandemic requires action to protect people who are homeless. University of Michigan. April 9, 2020.
- United States Interagency Council on Homelessness. COVID 19. Last Updated: June 15, 2020