In this issue…
- 2023 NCEAS Annual Conference: Submit conference submissions by 10/28
- Read our latest blog: “I want to break free”: Integrating LGBTQ health competencies throughout the medical education continuum
- Resource of the Month: “Integrating Public Health in Health Professions Education”
- What’s the latest? News, Conferences & Events from Around the Country
The National Collaborative for Education to Address the Social Determinants of Health (NCEAS) is a HRSA-funded Academic Unit for Primary Care Training and Enhancement. The mission of the NCEAS is to prepare primary care clinicians with the expertise and leadership to address the social determinants of health (SDOH).
Do you have relevant SDOH resources, curricula, or evaluation tools to share? Please send them to us at email@example.com
2023 NCEAS Annual Conference
Submit abstracts and/or workshop proposals for the virtual conference! Submissions close on October 28th.
Read our latest blog
“I want to break free”: Integrating LGBTQ health competencies throughout the medical education continuum
Although evolving, medical schools have traditionally been slow to embrace social change in the curriculum.1 Take, as an extreme example, a 2019 Wall Street Journal essay published by the former Dean of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine Dr. Stanley Goldfarb entitled, “Take Two Aspirin and Call Me by My Pronouns.”2 In the essay, Goldfarb lambasts the “inculcation of social policy” in modern medical education and argues that these ideas have no place in a profession aimed at maximizing the “quality and effectiveness of health care”.
Resource of the Month
Integrating Public Health in Health Professions Education
This resource provided by the CDC is a compiled list of materials intended for enhanced understanding of issues that influence population health and how to integrate public health into existing curricula. This resource is intended for health professional students, educators and health professionals.
What’s the Latest?
News, Conferences, and Upcoming Events
- What Are Political Determinants of Health & Do They Differ from SDOH?| Read Here
- Advancing Health Equity And Reducing Health Disparities For People With Disabilities In The United States | Read Here
- Access to Housing Can Reduce Infant Deaths | Read Here
- December 4-7, 2022: Conference | Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Forum | Orlando or Virtual Option | Details
- January 10-12, 2023: Conference | Diversity, Inclusion, & Health Equity Symposium – East Coast | Hybrid | Details
- May 16-18 2023: Conference | 2023 Accelerating Health Equity Conference | Minneapolis | Details