In this issue…
- Conference Submissions Now Open!: Submit your workshop proposal or abstract now!
- Register for our Upcoming Webinar! “Community Health Workers: Partners in the pursuit of equity, professional education, and pandemic response”
- Read our latest blog: “Correcting the Art of the Chart: Addressing Bias in our Notes”
- Resource of the Month: “A Case-Based Critical Care Curriculum for Internal Medicine Residents Addressing Social Determinants of Health”
- What’s the latest? News, Conferences & Events from Around the Country
*Submissions Due Friday, October 29th
Community Health Workers: Partners in the pursuit of equity, professional education, and pandemic response
Community health workers (CHWs) are a critical workforce for promoting health equity. In this presentation, we will outline CHWs’ unique contributions to addressing social determinants of health, with a particular focus on how CHWs have been active in COVID response. We will highlight how CHWs can play a role in health professional education and how health professionals can partner with community health workers to improve pandemic response and prepare for the future.
Correcting the Art of the Chart: Addressing Bias in our Notes
We in healthcare education invest a great deal of time in teaching our learners how to communicate with patients. Use PEARLS to convey empathy. Lean into the patient. Never stand above the patient. Soften your tone and slow down when delivering bad news. How much do we think and teach about writing effective, compassionate and ethical notes? Ethical, compassionate charting that is free from bias is a topic that has recently received some attention since patients now have access to our electronic notes as soon as we sign them.
A Case-Based Critical Care Curriculum for Internal Medicine Residents Addressing Social Determinants of Health
This curriculum resource, from MedEdPORTAL, provides educators with an extensive and practical curriculum that teaches resident physicians how to approach issues related SDOH in the context of safety net hospitals.
News, Conferences, and Upcoming Events
- Addressing SDOH is Crucial to Improving Health Outcomes, Care Disparities | Read More Here
- How to Implement Social Determinants of Health Referral Tools | Read More Here
- Present at the 2022 HRSA Workforce Conference | Read More Here
- Jan 22, 2021 to Sep 10, 2021 Every other Friday
SIREN Coffee & Science Conversation Series | Details
- September 8-10, 2021
Virtual Summit | Community Information Exchange | Virtual | Details
- October 4-6, 2021
Conference | 6th Annual National Summit on the Social Determinants of Health | Virtual | Details